2010/12/23

The Reflection of Reading Shawn Hou's Essay- Should We Have Kids


After reading Shawn Hou’s essay- Should We Have Kids? I prefer to choose not having a child. Having a family or not is really a question for every grown up man, but I got the answer when I was quite young: In comparison with having a kid, being a dink or staying single is more suitable and free for me.
In fact, I can not even imagine that I would have a child. I am a kid myself! How can a kid raise another kid? I do not feel like settling down right now. I would like to travel around the world first. I would like to live in Europe for at least a year and fell in love with a foreigner. I am too shallow, and my point of view is narrow. I need to see the world first. I can’t wait until I am 60; I have to do it now!
Freedom is another consideration why I don’t want to have a child. As people said: there is no live after having a child. Live is short, we should take our time enjoy every moment we breath. Eating out with my lover after a hard working day is good; watching a great movie in the weekend is fabulous; having sex when we feel like doing it is even better. Live should be spontaneous, we can do whatever we want to do happily without any “burden”. Moreover, having a child means we have to take a huge amount of responsibilities. Working like a dog for feeding kids and wife is beyond my imagination.
The third consideration is: economy. I am a child of my parents; I know how expensive it is to raise me. That’s do some simple meth here: the average of school tuition is around 15,000 NT dollars per semester; 12 years of tuition will cost me around 360,000 NT dollars. Not to mention the tuition of kindergarten and university. And this is only for tuition; what about the cost of living? Having a kid will cost me an arm and a leg! I could use this money buying a bigger house, trips around the world, delicate foods, luxuries, you name it. Why not live a high quality life, but suffer from the time you deal with kids, the mess you have to clean up for them, the cost you spend on them, tears you shed for them?
This is my opinion, maybe I write it in an exaggerating way, but most of those points are the truth. I didn’t say having a child is a bad thing; on the other hand, I respect the people who have children, but having a child is just not my piece of cake; especially in this high costing world, raising a kid really is a difficulty. 466 words

沒有留言:

張貼留言