Harmful Effects of Smoking
- · One in two lifetime smokers will die from their habit. Half of these deaths will occur in middle age.
- · Tobacco smoke also contributes to a number of cancers.
- · The mixture of nicotine and carbon monoxide in each cigarette you smoke temporarily increases your heart rate and blood pressure, straining your heart and blood vessels.
- · This can cause heart attacks and stroke. It slows your blood flow, cutting off oxygen to your feet and hands. Some smokers end up having their limbs amputated.
- · Changing to low-tar cigarettes does not help because smokers usually take deeper puffs and hold the smoke in for longer, dragging the tar deeper into their lungs.
- · Carbon monoxide robs your muscles, brain and body tissue of oxygen, making your whole body and especially your heart work harder. Over time, your airways swell up and let less air into your lungs.
- · Smoking causes disease and is a slow way to die. The strain of smoking effects on the body often causes years of suffering. Emphysema is an illness that slowly rots your lungs. People with emphysema often get bronchitis again and again, and suffer lung and heart failure.
- · Lung cancer from smoking is caused by the tar in tobacco smoke. Men who smoke are ten times more likely to die from lung cancer than non-smokers.
- · Heart disease and strokes are also more common among smokers than non-smokers.
- · Smoking causes fat deposits to narrow and block blood vessels which leads to heart attack.
- · Smoking causes around one in five deaths from heart disease.
- · In younger people, three out of four deaths from heart disease are due to smoking.
- · Cigarette smoking during pregnancy increases the risk of low birth weight, prematurity, spontaneous abortion, and perinatal mortality in humans, which has been referred to as the fetal tobacco syndrome.
The Reflection on Smoking
Smoking is an active that could be danger to ourselves even others. However there are still many people get addicted to smoking. After read the article which is talking about smoking among the young decreasing and girls smoking more. In this article, I am so surprise that even an expectant mother keep smoking during the gestation. Nicotine contains more than 2000 substances and that will cause a great danger to both the mother and baby. A mother who keeps smoking during the gestation will increase more chance to get complication than a non smoking mother. Nevertheless the baby grow in this condition may born with lower weigh because the nicotine reduce the oxygen contribution to the tissues. The other risk is that the baby may be premature birth. A premature birth baby will even leave permanent physical or mental problem afterwards.
Besides the pregnant smokers, teenager smokers are one of the problems that need to be care. In the report said that almost eighty percent adult start to smoke when they are teenagers. Some teenagers think smoke as an adult behavior. They use this action to act like they are cool or special. In fact, the nicotine really has the ability to suppress feelings but it very easy to get addicted. The research also shows that the teenagers between 13 to 17 years olds who smoke are more likely to use others drug substance. The earlier you try to smoke the more chance to get addicted. Teenager in this age are the most important period of growth, however the substance of nicotine will stop the growth hormone. When smokers are getting old they are easily to have lung, larynx, oral or heart disease.
Second hand smoking is another problem that needed to be known for those people who smoke. Second hand smokers are forced to breath in harmful substance which is from the burning cigarette. The injury to non smoker’s body can be double. Especially to children, their organs are in the development stage. Breathing too much second hand smoke can impair their lung even brain. In addition, continue exposing in second hand smoke may cause asthma even worse. The most usual place where children breathing second hand smoke is at home. Therefore parents should be careful when doing the action. Do not let your children exposing in these bad environment for a long time.
In recently Taiwan, smokers should be careful because the government has published a law that smoking at indoor structure designed for more than three people, such as restaurant, shopping mall even on the bus are illegal. As for outdoor area, such as park, zoo…will also be prohibited. Smokers only can smoke in particular place. Otherwise you may have to pay for the fine.
In conclusion smoking is a behavior which can harm yourselves and others. Although it is hard to quit the habit, think of weather it is a right place to smoke. Do not let other people feel uncomfortable. Just remember once you start to try to smoke it is hard to stop. Staying smoke free will offer you more good things like a healthy body, no need to spend extra money and a better relationship with others.